Monday, September 20, 2010

Conventions....big or small???

Hey everyone!

It's Juan again.

This past weekend me and my brother George had the chance to attend a small convention here in Los Angeles.

As we walked in I saw the convention landscape and I immediately thought I had wasted my money. Four rows filled on both sides by vendors selling their wears. Comics, action figures, statues, posters, etc...

Now most comic stores have this same type of set up. Selling all the same things. I was disappointed to say the least. And as we started walking down the rows I thought my brother would soon come to the same realization. But I was wrong. As we passed the first couple of vendors something caught my brothers eye.....a hard cover of the "Heroes" graphic novel. From that moment things changed we walked around and bought some comics that were quite recent, and comics that I had wanted to read but at the time didn't have the money to buy. Yet now I was walking away with tons of comics that I wanted and I only spent $0.50 each issue!!

As we walked out of the convention hours later, I told my brother, "That was pretty cool....I bought a bunch of comics, and they were cheap!" I was happy about driving down and attending this show. Looks were definitely deceiving. So I began to think....when I have visited Cons in the past....namely Comic Con San Diego.....I never really walk away feeling that I really made away with a steal when it comes to comics. This past convention was the first time.

So I was wondering, when it comes to Comic conventions.....which are your favorite?? Do you love the spectacle that is a San Diego Comic Con sized show, the type where every big comic name is there, where studios spend thousands on their stands....or are you a fan of smaller shows, those that come around twice or three times a year, those that have maybe one headliner...which starred in a sitcom or action show ten years ago, those were most of the vendors are local and trying to get their store names out there.

So which is it?? Big conventions or smaller ones?? And why!

No comments:

Post a Comment